Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Fair Trade Chocolate Diet

I never even liked chocolate until a few years ago. My whole life, more than 40 years, I never understood my girlfriends' chocolate obsessions. I was never tempted. Then I discovered dark chocolate, and the pure joy of eating square after square, along with a handful of raw hazelnuts. Now, I get it. And I can't get enough of it. My favorite: Endangered Species Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Toffee. The crunchy little toffee bits give the chocolate some texture and the combined flavor is the best confectionery invention ever. Of course, I still supplement with my hazelnuts (I buy them in bulk now).

There are days when I eat an entire 440 calorie bar (2 servings) with at least 3/4 cup of hazelnuts (that's another 570 calories). There are days when I have two bars, two over-sized servings of nuts. And sometimes, this heavenly combo is all I eat -- and I don't care who knows.

When I first invented the fair trade chocolate diet, which lasted for 10 days, I LOST weight. Even though I was eating a ton of calories, I wasn't eating anything else all day (chocolate and nuts are quite filling). So, I was happy and fitting into my skinnny jeans, too. Bonus.

There's a lot to love about Endangered Species -- They're committed to ethical trade, they donate 10% of their profits to species and habitat preservation, and now, they also make organic chocolate bars. I like their packaging, too. On the inside of every wrapper, there's information about an endangered animal, a conservation tip, and a 25 cent coupon for another bar! Now, if they only made this fancy bar in a spread, I could put it on toast, pancakes, crackers, pasta, fruit, and vegetables. Then it would be a lot easier to maintain a balanced diet.

What's your favorite eco-friendly chocolate bar?


(Image source: Endangered Species - www.chocolatebar.com)

subscribe to our feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Be Fancy. Be Green.